DIOCESE OF MTHATHA
PATRONESS: Our Lady Assumed into Heaven
BISHOP SITHEMBELE SIPHUKA
Ordained on the 3 May 2008
Residence: Bishop’s House
19 Craister Street
P.O Box 85
Tel & Fax: (047) 532 6301(Office)
Tel & Fax: (047) 532 2914 (Residence)
Prior to 1922, the territory formed part of the Natal Vicariate and from 1922 to 1930part of the Mariannhill Vicariate under Bishop Adalberto Fleischer. On 31 May 1930 it was made a Prefecture and in April 1937 a Vicariate. The ecclesiastical territory of the Diocese of Mthatha comprises the following civil districts: Mthatha, Libode, Ngqeleni, Port St John’s, Mqanduli, Elliotdale, Cala, Engcobo, Tsolo, Qumbu, Mount Fletcher, part of Matatiele with the Kenegha river as boundary (all in Transkei); Elliot and Maclear (Cape)
Area: 22 433 sq.km. Total Pop: 1 680 000 Cath. Pop: 98891
Emmanuel Hanisch (1930-1940). Joseph Grueter (1941-1968), resigned November 1967, died 2 March 1976. Henry Karlen (1968-1974) transferred to epscopal see of Bulawayo on 15 August 1974. Peter Butelezi (1975-1978) transferred to Archiepiscopal see of Bloemfontein on 6 August 1978. Andrew Z Brook (1979-1995), resigned 26 January 1995. Right Rev Bishop Frederick Lobinger (appointed Apostolic Administrator) 26 th January 1995 to 28 th June 1997.
Rt Rev Bishop Oswald G Hirmer was appointed Bishop of Mthatha on 28 April 1997 and was ordained Bishop Bishop on the 28 th June 1997 at Ikwezi Lokusa Grounds. His resignation was accepted by Pope Benedict in February 2008.
Vicar General: Very Rev Fr. Hormisdas Mwuluzi Kasule
For further information, please go to the Diocese of Mthatha