(Suffragan Dioceses: Tzaneen, Rustenburg, Polokwane, Gaborone, Francistown)
Most Rev Archbishop William Slattery, Archbishop of Pretoria
Appointed Bishop of Kokstad on 7th December 1933, ordained on 19th February 1994. Appointed Archbishop of Pretoria and Military Ordinary to the South African Defence Force on 23rd December 2010. Installed 30th January 2011.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus
Mother of Good Counsel
Jolivet House – 140 Visagie Street
PO Box 8149 – Pretoria 0001
Tel: (012) 326 5311/1
Fax: (012) 325 3994
BIOGRAPHY OF THE BISHOP
Bishop William Slattery OFM was born in Tipperary , Ireland, 6 Sept 1943. He Studied secondary school with the Franciscans and then joined that Order in 1962 and made final vows in 1966. Studied for a B.A. at the National University of Ireland in Galway. Studied theology and got licence in S Th in Rome 1970. Came to South Africa in 1971. He worked in Sebokeng, Sharpeville, Boipatong in the Vaal Triangle of Johanessburg diocese. Appointed novice master of the Franciscans and parish priest Besters 1975- 1983, in the diocese of Dundee. Set up formation program in Malawi. Superior of the Franciscans in the Transvaal and then appointed by the Bishops’ Conference as Rector of St John Vianney Seminary 1984-1991. General visitator of the Franciscans in East Africa. Postulant Master and parish priest in Amatikhulu\Gingindlovu in the diocese of Eshowe. Returned to Besters 1993 and appointed Bishop of Kokstad Nov 1993, consecrated bishop Feb 19, 1994. On the Board of the SACBC 1997-2006 as Chair of the department of Seminaries and now 2006-2009 Head of Department of Evangelisation. Have published religious and spiritual books in Sotho, Zulu, Xhosa and Sepedi.
Bishop Jolivet, OMI Vicar Apostolic of Natal, visited his distant portion of his vast mission and celebrated the first Mass in Pretoria on 8 June 1877. Later Lydenburg, Barberton, Pilgrim’s Rest and Witwatersrand were visited and centres established. Subdivision of the Vicariate of Natal ensued and Pretoria and surrounding districts formed part of the Prefecture Apostolic of the Transvaal (1886), which became the Vicariate Apostolic of the Transvaal (1904). By Decree dated 9 April 1948, the Vicariate Apostolic of Pretoria was erected and confided to the secular clergy. Rt Rev Bishop J C Garner, PhD, was consecrated Titular Bishop of Tracula, 31 May 1948, and appointed first Vicar Apostolic. On 11 January 1951, Pope Pius XII established the Ecclesiastical Hierarchy in the Union of South Africa and set up the Ecclesiastical Province of Pretoria. Pretoria is the Metropolitan See of the Province.
Area: 16 579 sq.km. Total Pop: 3 205 960 Cath. Pop: 197 320
Prefect Apostolic John C. Garner – 1948-1951
Archbishop John C Garner – 1951-1975
Archbishop George Francis Daniel 1975 and retired 25th January 2009 (address: PO Box 1372, Bronkhorstspruit 1020. Cell: 076 168 1268)
Jolivet House, 140 Visagie Street
PO Box 8149
Tel: (012) 326 5311 / 2, Fax: (012) 325 3994
Vicar General & Moderator of the Curia
Fr Robert Mphiwe, Tel: (012) 668 1595 or Cell: 076 265 9171
Fr Sefiri Motsepe.
For further information, please go to the Archdiocese of Pretoria