Oudtshoorn

Province of Cape Town
Patron: 
The Immaculate Heart of Mary

Right Reverend
BISHOP ………………
Nominated Bishop of Oudtshoorn on Day, Month, Year. Ordained bishop Day Month year.

Postal Address:
PO Box 97, Oudtshoorn, 6620.
Residence: 46 St. Saviour Street, Oudtshoorn, 6625.
Tel: 044 272 5054
Fax: 044 272 8908

Coat of Arms and Motto

Predecessors

  1. Rev. Fr. Davenoille, Prefect Apostolic 1874
  2. Rt Rev. Fr. Gaudeul, Prefect Apostolic 1882
  3. The Vicars Apostolic of Cape Town, 1882 – 1922
  4. Rt. Rev. Bishop F Hennemann, S.A.C., Titular Bishop of Coptus, Prefect Apostolic 1922 -1933;
  5. Rt. Rev. Mgr T Koenig, S.A.C., Prefect Apostolic 1934 – 1948;
  6. Rt. Rev. B Hippel, S.A.C., Titular Bishop of Abora, Vicar Apostolic of Oudtshoorn, 1948 – 1951, became Bishop of Oudtshoorn with the establishment of the Hierarchy on 11 January 1951. He retired on 29 September 1968 and died on 7 November 1970
  7. Rev. Fr. J Rosner, S.A.C., Apostolic Administrator 1968 to June 1969
  8. Rt. Rev. Bishop M Gottschalk, S.A.C., consecrated Bishop on 11 June 1969 and died on 20 April 1982;
  9. Rt. Rev. Bishop E.R. Adams, consecrated bishop on 16 July 1983 and retired 28 May 2010.
  10. Rt. Rev. Bishop Francisco de Gouveia, Consecrated bishop on the 17 July 2010 and Retired 02 July 2018.

History of the Diocese

The Diocese of Oudtshoorn was first established as the Central Prefecture by decree of the Holy See on 24 May 1872. Till then, it had been part of the Western Vicariate. On 13 July 1874 its care was entrusted to the “Missionaries for African Missions of Lyons”. When the Fathers of Lyons left the Central Prefecture in 1882, the Western part of the Prefecture was given to the Oblates of St. Francis of Sales and a new Prefecture was erected in 1884. The Eastern part again came under the jurisdiction of the Vicar Apostolic of the Western Vicariate as the Central Prefecture until 1922, when it was separated from the Western Vicariate and entrusted to the Pious Society of Missions, now called the Society of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottine Fathers).
On 13 June 1939, the Central Prefecture became the Prefecture of Oudtshoorn which in turn was raised to the status of Vicariate on 9 December 1948. The Diocese of Oudtshoorn was constituted on the establishment of the Catholic Hierarchy of Southern Africa on 11 January 1951. The Diocese has for its boundaries on the West, the eastern boundaries of Bredasdorp, Caledon, Paarl, Malmesbury, Clanwilliam, Van Rhynsdorp and Namaqualand districts; on the North, the southern boundaries of Kenhardt and Prieska districts; on the East, the western boundaries of Britstown, Richmond, Murraysburg, Aberdeen, Jansenville and Humansdorp districts; and on the South the Indian Ocean and the northern boundaries of Caledon and Bredasdorp districts. By decree of the Holy See the districts of Calvinia and Williston were separated from the Diocese of Oudtshoorn in 1979 and now fall under the jurisdiction of the Ordinary of the Diocese of Keimoes- Upington.

Area: 113 343 sq. km.

Total Pop: 570 183

Cath Pop: 29 038

I am text block. Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

[/vc_row]

For more info

SACBC Copyright © 2018. Designed and maintained by: Mariannhill Media