Province of Cape Town
Patron: Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt St Patrick
Bishop Vincent Mduduzi Zungu
Appointed 2nd February 2014 and ordained Bishop on 28th June 2014.
PO Box 12194, Centrahil 6006.
Residence: 10 Park Lane, Central, Port Elizabeth 6001
Tel: 041 373 2854
Fax: 041 374 3921
Coat of Arms and Motto
- Rt Rev Aidan Devereux, Titular Bishop of Paneas, was consecrated 27 December 1847, died 11 February 1854.
- Rt Rev Patrick Moran, Titular Bishop of Dardania, consecrated 30 March 1856, transferred to Dunedin, New Zealand 1869, died 1895.
- Rt Rev James David Ricards, Titular Bishop of Retimo, consecrated 18 June 1871, died 30 November 1893.
- Rt Rev Peter Strobino, Titular Bishop of Pompeiopolis, consecrated 1 November 1891, coadjutor cum jure successionis to Dr Ricards, died 1st October 1896.
- Rt Rev Hugh MacSherry, Titular Bishop of Justinianopolis, assistant at the Pontifical Throne, consecrated 2 August 1896 as coadjutor cum jure successionis to Rt Rev Bishop Strobino, died 19 April 1940.
- Rt Rev James Colbert, Titular Bishop of Oldia, was consecrated 29 October 1939, resigned 1948.
- Rt Rev Hugh Boyle, consecrated Titular Bishop of Bagai 2 February 1949, appointed Bishop of Port Elizabeth 11 January 1951, appointed Bishop of Johannesburg 25 June 1954.
- Rt Rev E A Green, appointed Bishop of Port Elizabeth 19 April 1955, consecrated Corpus Christi Church, Wittebome, Cape, 29 June 1955, was enthroned at St Augustine’s Cathedral, Port Elizabeth, 6 July 1955. He resigned 27 December 1970. He died on 21 March 1988.
- Rt Rev J P Murphy was consecrated at St Augustine’s Cathedral 28 August 1972 and as Bishop Emeritus of Port Elizabeth since 22 June 1986. Died on 18 September 1997.
- Rt Rev Michael Gower Coleman, appointed Bishop of Port Elizabeth 21 March 1986. Ordained Bishop 22 June 1986. Resigned 20 August 2011. Died on 17 December 2011.
History of the Diocese
Erected in 1847, the Vicariate Apostolic of Port Elizabeth was formerly known as the Vicariate Apostolic of the Eastern Districts of the Cape of Good Hope.
The Port Elizabeth Diocese has for its boundaries on the West: Humansdorp, Uitenhage, Jansenville, Pearston and Cradock magisterial Area; on the North, the southern boundaries of Middelburg, Maraisburg, Tarkastad, Queenstown, Stockenstroom, Cathcart and Stutterheim districts; on the East, the Great Kei River and on the South, the Indian Ocean.
Area: 71 828 sq. km.
Total Pop: 2 797 491
Cath Pop: 97 491